Coca-Cola was awarded the state soft drink contract in November 2010. The Office for the Blind (OFB) receives scholarship funds from Coca-Cola to use toward college training for eligible consumers. OFB offers a scholarship program for current consumers. Scholarship awards may range from $1,000 to $4,000 for fall semester 2017. The scholarship can be used for tuition, fees, room/board, and/or books (if applicable).
All current consumers of Office for the Blind have to meet the following criteria to be eligible for a scholarship:
1. Proof of legal blindness. Confirmation of Legal Blindness form If including a vision report with confirmation form, the report should not be older than two years.
2. An official school transcript with at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA.
3. Acceptance letter from accredited college (includes vocational/technical programs).
4. Two letters of recommendation (i.e. teacher, employer, non-family member).
5. Photocopy of state issue identification (must be resident of Kentucky).
6. A completed essay (500 words) is required. Please choose one of the following topics below for your essay. If you have applied in the past for the scholarship, you must select a different essay topic to complete.
a) Describe a person who embodies the idea of excellence you try to carry for yourself. This person might be a role model, an historical figure, or even a fictional hero-someone who you are inspired by and admire beyond your family members.
b) What activities (academic, athletic, cultural, community-related, occupational, etc.) do you participate in that you feel most builds and reflects your character?
c) If you were mayor of your hometown, what changes would you make? Why?
d) Describe your academic and career goals and your plans to achieve them and discuss any of your extracurricular/volunteer activities (both on and off campus) that you may perform.
7. Click here
to print all application information.
This also includes a list of all documentation required for submission.
Application package will be accepted beginning June 1, 2017. Completed materials must be received no later than June 30, 2017. Application and all other documentation must be submitted in HARD COPY and mailed in one package/envelope to:
Charles W. McDowell Rehabilitation Center
Attn: Scholarship Fund
8412 Westport Road
Louisville, KY 40242
If you have questions or if you need the application materials in Braille, please contact Pam Minton toll free at 800-346-2115 or you can email her at: Pamela.Minton@ky.gov.