Coca-Cola was awarded the state soft drink contract in November 2010. The Office for the Blind (OFB) receives scholarship funds from Coca-Cola to use toward college training for eligible consumers. OFB offers a scholarship program for current consumers. Scholarship awards may range from $1,000 to $4,000 for fall semester 2018. The scholarship can be used for tuition, fees, room/board, and/or books (if applicable).
All current consumers of Office for the Blind have to meet the following criteria to be eligible for a scholarship:
1. Proof of legal blindness. If including a vision report with confirmation form, the report should not be older than two years.
2. An official school transcript with at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA.
3. Acceptance letter from accredited college (includes vocational/technical programs).
4. Two letters of recommendation (i.e. teacher, employer, non-family member).
5. Photocopy of state issue identification (must be resident of Kentucky).
6. A completed essay (500 words) is required. Please choose one of the following topics below for your essay. If you have applied in the past for the scholarship, you must select a different essay topic to complete.
a) Describe your life plan once you have completed your degree program.
b) Describe how you will positively impact others in your career field and influence others into your career path.
Application package will be accepted beginning June 1, 2018. The date the completed materials must be received by has been extended to July 13, 2018.
Application and all other documentation must be submitted in HARD COPY and mailed in one package/envelope to:
Charles W. McDowell Rehabilitation Center
Attn: Scholarship Fund
8412 Westport Road
Louisville, KY 40242
If you have questions or if you need the application materials in Braille, please contact Pam Minton
toll free at 800-346-2115.